Hindustan is a Hindi language newspaper published by the HT Media Ltd. With 52.39 million readers, it is the second most read Hindi newspaper in India. The newspaper is owned and operated by Shobhana Bhartia who is the daughter of industrialist KK Birla and the wife of industrialist Shyam Sundar Bhartia. The Hindustan newspaper is published by Hindustan Media Ventures Limited which is a subsidiary of HT Media Limited. The newspaper has 21 editions across the Hindi belt. Hindustan newspaper comes with supplements like Nayi Dishayen – an educational supplement, Tan-Man a lifestyle supplement, Anokhi a Magazine on health, family and Women and Movie Magic, a Bollywood news supplement.
Media Companies / Groups
HT Media Ventures Limited is the publisher of Hindustan newspaper. HT Media Limited owns 74.30% share of HT Media Ventures Limited and the remaining 25.69% shares are owned by Public.
The Hindustan Times Limited owns the HT Media Limited with 69.50% of shares. The remaining 30.5% shares are owned by the public: individuals and institutions.
The Hindustan Times Limited has two major shareholders: Earthstone Holding (Two) Private Limited holds 64.64% and Earthstone Investment and Finance Limited holds 10.2% share. The remaining 25.16% shares of the company are spread among various institutions, companies and individuals with smaller stakes.
Earthstone Holding (Two) Private Limited has three major shareholders: SB Trusteeship Services Private Limited (93.47%), Shobhana Bhartia (2.5%) and The Hindustan Times Limited (3.4%).
Earthstone Investment & Finance Limited is owned almost entirely by BCM Holding Limited (99.9%). 99.9% shares of BCM Holding Limited is owned by SB Trusteeship Services Limited. Shobhana Bharti holds 99.9% share of SB Trusteeship Services Limited.
Shobhana Bhartia owns 74.4% share of The Hindustan Times Limited – 64,64% through Easthsone Holding (Two) Private Limited and 10,02% through Earthstone Investment & Finance Limited
Hence, Shobhana Bhartia through SB Trusteeship Services Private Limited via other companies mentioned above owns 51.43% share of HT Media Limited, i.e 38.21% of HT Media Ventures Limited. 18.07% share of Hindustan Media Limited is with other individuals, companies, which means 13.42% stake in HT Media Ventures Limited. The public share with HT Media Ventures Limited directly and indirectly results in 48.02%.
Group / Individual Owner
Public and Corporates
HT Media Ventures Limited and HT Media limited are both publicly listed companies. HT Media limited is the parent company of HT Media Ventures Limited where it holds 74.30% of shares. 25.38% of HT Media Ventures Limited are directly held by public and whereas in HT Media Limited the public holds 30.50% of shares. Directly and indirectly the cumulative share of public in Hindustan is 48.02%.
Other Individuals and companies
Hindustan Times Limited which is the majority shareholder of HT Media Limited which in turn owns 74.30% of HT Media Ventures Limited has some 25.16% of shares spread among different individuals, companies and institutions. Companies associated with Birla Group such as BK Birla Foundation, Birla Educational Institution and Pic Realcon Ltd have at least 5.12% share. Among the shareholders were two companies associated with the Times Group (Bennett Coleman & Company Limited) Bharat Nidhi Ltd and Times Guaranty Financials Ltd which hold at least 0.12% of share. ASK Group and their directors hold some 1.78% of shares. The Ministry of Corporate Affairs (through Investor Education and protection Fund Authority) is also listed as a shareholder with 0.97% stake.
Affiliated Interests Founder
are the Founders of a Company called The Behar Journals Limited, in 1918, which began publishing the English newspaper “Searchlight” in 1919. In 1947, the company began publishing a Hindi daily called Pradeep. Eventually, in 1986, both ‘Pradeep’ and ‘Searchlight’ wound up operations and the Hindi newspaper Hindustan started publication.
Affiliated Interests Ceo
is the Managing Director and CEO of HT Media Ventures Limited and HT Media Limited, companies that publish the Hindi daily newspaper, Hindustan and the English daily Newspaper the Hindustan Times, respectively. A Chartered Accountant and Cost Accountant by profession, he joined HT Media on 1 August, 2018. He had earlier worked with F&B major, PepsiCo in various capacities. In his current role at the HT Media, he is entrusted with transforming the company into a new age media company. Someshwar is also the Managing Director and Director of HT Media Ventures Limited, and the Director of The Press Trust of India Limited, the Indian Newspaper Society and the Media Research Users Council.
Affiliated Interests Editor-In-Chief
is the Editor-in-Chief of Hindustan and has a Master’s degree in Ancient Indian History, Culture and Archaeology from Banaras Hindu University and Post Graduate Diploma in Journalism. Shekhar has earlier worked as an Executive Producer with the Aaj Tak, India Today Group’s Hindi news channel.
Affiliated Interests other important people
is the son of Shobhana Bhartia, the owner of the Hindustan Times. He is one of the directors of the HT Media Limited. He has a Master’s degree in Business Administration from Stanford University. He is also a director with companies such as Birla Cotton Spinning and Weaving Mills Limited, Jubilant Enpro Private Limited, Jubilant Life Sciences Limited, Udit (India) Limited, Earthstone Holding (Two) Private Limited, Jubilant Agri and Consumer Products Limtied, SSBPB Investment Holding Private Limited, Digicontent Limited Firefly e-Ventures Limited, among many others.
is the son of Shobhana Bhartia, the owner of the Hindustan Times. He is the non-executive director of the HT Media Limited. He holds a degree in Economics from Dartmouth College. With the company since the incorporation, Shamit Bhartia is also a Director in many other companies including Usha Flowell Limited, Jubilant Motorworks Private Limited, Goldmerry Investment and Trading Company Limited, HT Media Ventures Limited, Indian Country Homes Private Limited, Shobhana Trustee Company Private Limited, among many others.
Revenue (in Mill. $)
Operating Profit (in Mill. $)
Advertising (in % of total funding)
Most of the information is obtained from the company website and its annual report for 2017-2018. The outlet specific financial information is not available. Company’s financial information was retrieved from the Ministry of Corporate Affairs website. An email and a courier were sent to the company on the 1st February 2019 requesting for the information and awaiting a response.