NDTV India is one of the prominent 24-hour Hindi news channels in India started in the year 2003 by Dr. Prannoy Roy and his wife Radhika Roy. Sonia Singh is the Editorial Director of the channel. In 2016, the Information & Broadcasting ministry of the Government of India, passed an order to “prohibit the transmission or re-transmission of NDTV India channel for one day on any platform throughout India with effect from 00:01 hrs on 9 November 2016 till 00:01 hrs of 10 November, 2016” for the violation of Cable Act by revealing sensitive details, such as the location of the ammunition depot, school and residential areas in its coverage of the Pathankot attack. Some of the popular shows of the channel are: Prime Time (hosted by Ravish Kumar), Newspoint @ 10 and Hum Log.
Free-to-air (DTH and Cable operators)
Media Companies / Groups
NDTV India is owned by New Delhi Television Limited. The majority shares of the New Delhi Television Limited is owned Dr. Prannoy Roy (15.95%) and his wife Mrs. Radhika Roy (16.32%) which jointly stands at 32.27%. RRPR Holding Pvt. Ltd. (RRPR) holds 29.18% share in the company which is again owned by Dr. Prannoy Roy and his wife Mrs Radhika Roy. Dr. Prannoy Roy and his wife own in total 61.45% share of NDTV Group. The remaining 38.55% share of the company is publicly traded in National Stock
Exchange and Bombay Stock Exchange of which the major shareholders are Two
Mauritius based companies with the same registered address appear as shareholders: Eriska Investment Fund Limited which owns 4.42% share and LTS Investment fund Limited owns 9.75% share in the company. The remaining 24.38% of the company is owned by other entities and Individuals with less than 1% share each.
Group / Individual Owner
24.38% of the company is owned by other entities and Individuals with less than 1% share each.
LTS Investment Fund Limited
LTS Investment Fund Limited is a Mauritius based company, registered in Les Cascade, Edith Cavell st., Port Louis. The company also publicly holds shares in 20 other stocks worth INR 9.17 Billion, including Visa Steel Ltd., Lotus Eye Hospital and Institute Ltd, Modern India Ltd among others.
Affiliated Interests Founder
is the Co-founder of NDTV 24x7, the first 24-hours English news channel of India. He is an Indian journalist and quite a prominent media personality. Prior to founding his own TV channel, he worked for the Government of India as an Economic Advisor with the Ministry of Finance.
is the co-founder of NDTV 24x7 and the wife of Dr. Prannoy Roy. Radhika is an Indian journalist and worked with Indian Express and India Today before launching NDTV. Her sister Brinda Karat is a politician with the Communist Party of India – Marxist (CPI-M), elected to the Rajya Sabha on 11 April 2005 for West Bengal. Karat’s husband is also a prominent leader of CPI(M). Radhika Roy is also the Director of NDTV India Plus Limited, NDTV Hindu Media Limited, New Delhi Television Media Limited, NDTV Business Limited, NDTV Delhi Limited, NDTV Studios Limited, NDTV Labs Limited, NDTV Investments Private Limited, RRPR holding private limited, New Delhi Television Limited and holds majority of the shares.
Affiliated Interests Ceo
is the CEO of New Delhi Television Limited, the company that owns and operates NDTV 24x7, an English news channel. She holds Master’s degree in Television, Radio and Film from Syracuse University. She has been with NDTV since 1994 during which time she served the company as the Head of Convergence at NDTV Convergence Ltd., Director of Strategy at NDTV Group, as Managing Editor of ndtv.com and Deputy Chief Executive Officer of NDTV Convergence Limited until January 13, 2016. She was appointed as the NDTV Group CEO on 4 December 2017 after the demise of Mr. K.V.L. Narayan Rao, who was the Executive Vice-Chairperson and Group CEO. She holds 0.08% share in NDTV Limited.
Affiliated Interests Editor-In-Chief
is the Editorial Director of NDTV and President of the NDTV Ethics Committee, she has been with NDTV since 1992. She has a Master’s in Literature and is a Chevening scholar. She is married to Ratanjit Pratap Narain Singh, a prominent Indian National Congress Leader. During the second term of the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance, often called UPA-2 Government, he was the Union Minister of State, Road, Transport and Highways, Union Minister of State, Petroleum and Natural Gas and Corporate Affairs and Union Minister of State, Home Affairs.
Affiliated Interests other important people
Non-Executive Independent Director, she was Secretary and Head of Administration, Institute of Cerebral Palsy (IICP) from 1987 to 2002. Mrs. Indrani Roy is Peace Works Coordinator, Seagull Foundation for the Arts from 2003. She is also Member of the Managing Committee of International Institute for Poverty Awareness & Education. Mrs. Roy is a Trustee of Lilabati Day Memorial Trust.
the Managing Editor for NDTV 24x7, she holds Master’s degree in Mass communication from the Mass Communication Research Centre, MCRC of Jamia Millia Islamia in New Delhi. She has worked across NDTV’s bouquet of channels including NDTV India, Profit, Worldwide, Special Projects, Red Dot, among others. She is responsible for fact checking.
Revenue (in Mill. $)
Operating Profit (in Mill. $)
Advertising (in % of total funding)
Since NDTV is a listed company, most information about the company was available on their Annual Report. However, financial information is available for the holding company but not for individual channels. The company was contacted, via email on the 2nd January 2019 and by courier on the 1st February 2019, asking for clarification of the data collected, and confirmation of the same. There has been no response from the Company.